Friday, January 28, 2011

Get my drift?


If you ask someone, “Do you get my drift?” - you are asking if they understand you. It’s like saying, “Do you understand what I am trying to explain?” It is very informal. “Catch my drift” is another way of saying it. You may also be asking someone if they understand the implications, even when you don’t directly state it. Here Rosalyn is implying that she is going to use the “rat tail” on Calvin if he doesn’t get in the pool.

1. - The closer you are to the equator, the easier it is to get sunburn. 
       Get my drift?
    - Yes, I know… I should be using sunscreen/ sun block.    

2. - When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Catch my drift?
    - Oh, OK - so if I’m not sure how to behave in a foreign country I 

       should watch and imitate the locals.
    - Yes, so right now you should take off your shoes before we enter 

       the house.


3. - Wikileaks will be the scapegoat (they will take the blame/ 
       responsibility). Get my drift?
    - So if I send these documents to Wikileaks I can remain 

       anonymous. I don’t have to get into trouble or risk my 
       safety?
    - Exactly. They will take the heat (deal with the difficulties), since they

       are the public face.

1 comment :

  1. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS POST DIRECTLY WITH SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS VIA EMAIL, CLICK ON THE LITTLE ENVELOPE BUTTON ABOVE (NEXT TO THE "+" BUTTON. YOU CAN ENTER A FEW EMAIL ADDRESSES OF SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS WHO ARE LEARNING ENGLISH. THEY WILL THANK YOU FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete