Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Get to (do) something



If you “get to” (do) something, you have the privilege, the right, the good fortune/ luck, the ability or the opportunity to do something.

1.  I work from home, so I get to take a nap after lunch every day if I want to. I also get to watch TV at different times when I’m not in class… and I get to be there for my young daughter all day every day.

2. I’ve always been interested in learning Portuguese. Now I get to learn Portuguese just by being in Brazil, and I don’t need to spend money on language classes.

3. As an English teacher I get to meet people from almost every profession and social class. I would consider that a good thing, since as a foreigner, it’s a great opportunity to get to know the local culture at every level. I have taught in favelas and I have taught diplomats.

4. If you are a dictator, you get to do absolutely anything you want until the consequences catch up with you.




1 comment :

  1. Having Internet is really fruitful because one gets to learn many things.

    ReplyDelete