Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gear up

If you are gearing up for something, you are preparing yourself / getting ready ahead of time, in anticipation of something significant that will happen.

1. Many of my English students are already gearing up for better job opportunities by working on their English skills. It’s “the survival of the fittest”!

2. When a baby is on the way there is an incredible amount of anticipation and preparation involved before the birth. Parents try to gear up by buying all kinds of things…

3 In Brazil, people gear up for the Carnival months ahead of time with party preparations, building floats, designing costumes and making travel plans. Are you gearing up for any celebration soon?

4. Gearing up for something many times involves preparing yourself both mentally and physically for what is about to happen. It may include a lot of personal reflection… and perhaps a few pushups while you’re at it!




4 comments :

  1. I'm gearing up for getting better job opportunities once I start applying for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katniss Everdeen is gearing up for the hunger games !, she is on fire !!, no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gearing up to type a sentence using the expression "to gear up" and then I thought "does a gerund follow after it?" turned out it doesn't (based on a cheap dictionary), it was just me second-guessing myself...that was kinda redundant, I forgot what my point was going to be. never mind.

    ReplyDelete