Monday, January 27, 2014

Was/ were going to (+ verb):


 If you were going to do or say anything, you had the intention of doing it but something happened to interrupt or stop whatever it was, or maybe you changed your mind. 

1. I was going to settle down and live in Maceio in the State of Alagoas, but after spending 5 days there, I decided to move to a bigger city… and the rest is history! 

2. I was going to go to São Sebastião market in downtown Fortaleza on Sunday morning to eat buchada, but I had to cancel that outing with some of my students because I got home from a wedding celebration the night before very late. 

3. Whenever we have a change of plans we say, “I was 
going tobut then….” Tell me about something you were going to do but then had to call it off (cancel it). 

4. I was going to return to South Africa before the 2010 world cup, but after the start of the global financial crisis at the end of 2008, I decided to come to Brazil instead. The crisis changed many peoples’ plans. 

5. I was going to study to be a vet, but somehow I changed my mind and decided to study photography. 


6. 12 years ago I left South Africa to work on the cruise ships as a photographer. In my initial plan I was going to work for a 6-month contract, return to South Africa for a vacation and then possibly continue with a 2nd contract. I was going to save up (money) for some top of the line professional equipment so that I could work on some projects that I had in mind. The way things went, I took my vacations backpacking though Central America instead… and to make a long story short I ended up teaching private English classes in Brazil 9 years later. We say that “one thing leads to another”. 


7. What were you going to be when you grew up? Are you doing exactly what you imagined, or are you someone like me who ended up doing something totally unexpected and in an unexpected place? 

No comments :

Post a Comment